The benefits of Dead Sea salt
Minerals in Dead Sea salt
Due to the extremely rich mineral composition of Dead Sea salt, it has broad beneficial effects on our health. This type of salt contains more than 40 minerals, which can be absorbed through the skin. The main ones are :
- Magnesium Dead Sea salt consists of 31% to 35% magnesium chloride. This important mineral is involved in more than 300 essential reactions in the body, including: the relaxation of muscles, nerves and blood vessels, the release of energy from food, the formation of healthy teeth and bones, the resistance to stress, the strengthening of the memory and concentration, the improvement of the conditon of heart and blood vessels, the skeletal strength, the transmission of nerve impulses and the proper functioning of the muscles.
- Potassium Dead Sea salt consists for 20-28% of potassium. This is an electrolyte with a positive charge that conducts electricity in the fluids in body cells. It is essential for hydration, heart rhythm, muscle contractions and the PH balance.
- Sodium Dead sea salt contains 3 - 8% sodium. Although often seen as a negative mineral, because our diet contains too much of it, sodium is an essential electrolyte necessary for the absorption and transport of nutrients, the fluid balance, blood pressure and the transmission of nerve signals.
- Calcium Dead Sea salt consists of 0.1 - 0.5% calcium chloride. This mineral plays an important role in the formation and maintenance of healthy bones and teeth. It is also necessary to circulate the blood, release hormones, regulate body weight and stabilize enzymes.
- Sulfur Dead sea salt contains 0.05-0.2% sulfur. It helps synthesize proteins, supports cartilage and connective tissues, it helps the body resist bacteria and cleans it of toxins.
What does Dead Sea Salt do for your skin?
Dead Sea salt hydrates
Washing with Dead Sea salt or bathing in a solution of Dead Sea salt improves the hydration of the skin, reduces redness and roughness and improves the skin barrier. To demonstrate this effect, several experiments have been done including the following:
Several people with atopic dry skin had one arm submerged in a solution of water with Dead Sea salt and the other arm in tap water for 15 minutes. The arm treated with the saline solution showed significant improvements in all areas, while the skin of the so-called 'tap water arm' had become even drier.
The anti-inflammatory and hydrating effects of Dead Sea salt are due to the high magnesium content. Magnesium salts bind to water, increasing skin absorption and permeability.
Dead Sea salt cleans and disinfects
Thanks to the natural antibacterial properties of sulfur, the salt of the Dead Sea is great to clean the skin surface. Because the Dead Sea salt contains only small amounts of sulfur, it can gently cleanse oily skin and reduce acne.
Dead Sea salt is an excellent exfoliator
By scrubbing / peeling with a product that contains Dead Sea salt, you help your skin to remove dead skin cells that contribute to the roughness of the skin, clogged pores and (pigmentation) spots.
Dead Sea salt promotes a youthful appearance and reduces wrinkles
Dead Sea salt reduces the roughness of the skin that contributes to the formation of fine lines and deep wrinkles.
Dead Dea salt cures chronic skin conditions
The combination of minerals in the salt of the Dead Sea has worked wonders for people who suffer from dry, sensitive and itchy skin. A lot of research has also been done on this. Some examples :
Psoriasis patients took a bath in Dead Sea water for 20 minutes every day for 3 weeks in a row. At the end of this course, their Psoriasis Area and Severity Index (PASI) had dropped by an average of 34.8%. One month after the termination of this treatment, their PASI scores had dropped even further by an average of 43.6%. The effect of washing with the salt therefore continues to work even after the treatment is finished.
Also in the case of atopic eczema, several tests have been done and eczema patients have washed daily with Dead Sea water for several weeks; using the Scoring Atopic Dermatitis (SCORAD) index, the symptoms of dryness, redness, swelling and peeling of the patients were significantly improved within a week. Here too this effect continued to work even after this treatment had ended.
What does Dead Sea salt do for your health?
Dead Dea salt soothes rheumatoid arthritis
Characterised by painful swelling of the joints, rheumatoid arthritis can lead to bone erosion and deformity over time. Although there is no cure, washing with Dead Sea water has proven to be an effective treatment for many of the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis. In a study, patients bathed in Dead Sea salt for 20 minutes on a daily basis. Evaluated by rheumatologists and their own self-assessments, patients showed significant improvements in morning stiffness, 15-meter walking time, handle strength, joint circumference, number of active joints and activities of daily living. The reduction in symptoms was greatest after the two-week period and the beneficial effects of baths in Dead Sea salt lasted for one month after the treatment was finished.
Dead Sea salt soothes aching muscles
Soaking in the salt of the Dead Sea can help alleviate muscle cramps and pain and provides a relaxed way to alleviate the pain and discomfort of tired and tense tissues.
When testing the effects on fibromyalgia - a chronic condition characterized by muscle pain, fatigue, sleep disturbances, memory disorders and mood swings - researchers discovered that after 10 days of washing with Dead Sea salt, the severity and frequency of the symptoms strongly decreased. There was an immediate reduction of pain, fatigue, stiffness, anxiety, headache, sleeping problems and joint swelling that persisted for up to three months after treatment.
Discover it for yourself!
As you can see over time a lot of research and experimenting has been done with Dead Sea salt as well as with products which contain this type of salt. The fact is that washing with the salt and the use of products containing it has greatly improved the quality of life and skin condition of many people.
The only way to find out what it can do and mean for your skin and health is to try it out for yourself!
For further questions or a customized advice you can of course always contact us.