Treatment advice - Psoriasis
Dead Sea minerals have a beneficial effect on the skin. They clean, nourish and restore the water balance of the skin cells. These properties are used in the care of psoriasis.Read more
Dead Sea minerals have a beneficial effect on the skin. They clean, nourish and restore the water balance of the skin cells. The high concentrations of bromine and iodine present in the source water of the Dead Sea stimulate the natural regeneration process of the body, while magnesium reduces allergic reactions.
All of these properties are used in the Dead Sea treatment of psoriasis. The basic principle here is the restoration of water management in the skin cells. Psoriasis disrups this restorative process, causing the skin cells to dry out and die quickly and the skin will flake and itch. With regular use of Dead Sea mineral products and mud packings the condition of the skin can improve considerably. Itching reduces, dead skin cells are dissolved and the skin is rehydrated. The permeability is increased and the moisture content of the skin cells in the epidermis is increased, so that the condition of the skin is improved and psoriasis decreases. Below we have listed our treatment advice for psoriasis at different places:
Psoriasis on the whole body
- Dissolve 0.25 kg of Dead Sea salt in 0.75 liter of water and put it in a bottle. Place it in the bathroom and wash yourself daily with it. Use a clean washcloth. Preferably do not rinse the Dead Sea lotion. Repeat this washing ritual daily for at least 2 weeks. Alternatively, you can use the Psor Soap. Soak in, allow it to work for 1-2 minutes and then rinse.
- Use a mud pack once a week and do this for at least 4 weeks in a row. After you have showered with the Dead Sea lotion and dried the skin, apply the heated mud to the psoriasis with a spatula and let it work for 15-20 minutes. Then remove it with a spatula and lukewarm water. Apply the psoriasis cream twice daily on the psoriasis marks. After every shower, the skin should always be hydrated. The Mud Body Cream is suitable for use on the entire body.
- Many cleansing products dry out the skin, so for daily washing, showering, bathing or hand washing, you preferably use a Mud or Mineral Soap.
Psoriasis on hands or feet
- Take a hand or foot bath daily with the Dead Sea lotion for 20-30 minutes (dissolve 0.25 kg of Dead Sea salt in 0.75 liters of water and put part of it into a bowl). Rinse well with lukewarm water and pat dry. Keep this routine for at least 2 weeks in a row or longer depending on the result. Alternate the mineral bath once or twice a week with a mud treatment. Wash the hands or feet with lukewarm water and then apply the heated mud to the psoriasis marks. Let it work for 15-20 minutes. Rinse well and pat dry.
- The hands: after bathing or washing the hands rub them in with the Mud Hand Cream. For washing the hands, you can either use the Psor Soap, the Mud or the Mineral Soap. Massage the psoriasis marks in the evening with the Pso Skin Relief Cream.
- The feet : Use the Mud Foot Cream after every foot bath or bath/shower. Wash the feet with the Psor or Mud Soap. In the evening, massage the psoriasis marks with the Pso Skin Relief Cream.
Psoriasis in the face
- This mineral treatment should be applied daily for at least 4 weeks. Sometimes it may be necessary to extend it with another 4 weeks. Dab the skin with a warm Dead Sea lotion (dissolve 0.25 kg of dead sea salt in 0.75 liters of water) for 15 minutes. Use a clean washcloth for this. For children you can make the lotion less concentrated (0.1 kg of salt on 0.9 liters of water) and dab for 10 min. Dry the skin with tissues. Then carefully apply the Avocado/Aloe Vera Face Cream. For the daily cleansing of the face, use either the Sea Buckthorn Facial Cleanser, the Psor, Mineral or the Mud Soap.
- If you can tolerate it, apply a Mud Mask once a week. Do not use this treatment for children. Clean the face with one of the above products and lukewarm water, pat dry and apply the mask to the face. Let it work for 15-20 minutes until the mud has dried. Rinse with lukewarm water and pat dry. In the evening you can use the Pso Skin Relief Cream on the psoriasis marks.
Note: sometimes the skin can become very red, this is not a deterioration but an improvement in the recovery process and is caused by the peeling of the dead skin cells due to the effect of the Dead Sea minerals.
Psoriasis on the head
- Mud treatment: wet the hair and the skin of the scalp and apply the warm mud. Massage gently unto the scalp, let it work for 15-20 minutes and then rinse well with warm water. Treat daily for a week and then 3 times a week for 3 weeks. If the result is good, replace the mud with the Mud Hair Mask, apply this mask twice a week. In case of a less good result, continue the mud treatment for a few weeks. After the mud treatment, wash once or twice with the Mud Shampoo.
- After the mud cure use the Dead Sea lotion once a week (dissolve 0.5 kg Dead Sea salt into 0.5 liters of water) or use the mud hair mask and wash the hair twice a week with the mud shampoo. In less severe cases, the mud can be replaced by the Dead Sea lotion.
- Stop smoking.
- Exercise regularly.
- Wear clothing and footwear made from natural materials (cotton, leather, silk).
- Focus on your diet.
Would you like more information about 'how to eat your skin healthy' or do you have questions about the above treatment advice? Please feel free to contact us, we are happy to help you !